Welcome to SHTF Forum, SHTF Preparedness. Click here to register

Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter - A steal at - $23.50

Best places to get water and how to prepare it for safe consumption, water filters / filtering etc..
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:07 pm
Just Water - A Servicable Ceramic Water Filter with an indefinate life.

I was looking for a quality water filter that wouldn't break the bank. I prep, but like to do so on a budget. After looking at a Katadyn pocket / hiker, a Berkely setup, and a few others, I found a link to Monolithic's website for an interesting design.

Design

This design incorporates a removable / serviceable .5 micron filter, spigot, seals, and whatever container you select to hold the water. with a Ceramic Filter element, this filter has an indefinate life cycle. It can pretty much "filter" water forever. The serviceable part of the filter is an inner carbon element that is used to treat the water for contaminants and to improve taste. This portion of the filter is usable for 8-9 months of continuous use, with a shelf life of 3-5 years. After that date, you can disasemble the filter and replace the carbon, or continue the filter as-is.

Here in Michigan, we have many sources for water, but we also have a variety of bacteria and micro-organisms in our water (Giardia was one of my main concerns). If your source already tastes acceptable, the main concern is the filtration of bacteria and micro-organisms.

For a container, you need one container to hold the initial volume of water and another container of equal or greater size to hold the treated water. The liquid from the first container drips into the second container, and you retrieve the treated water through the included spigot. I suggest using 2 5 gallon buckets, as this setup works quite well! Plus, Monolithic has a setup guide on their website detailing the installation.

However, I do not see why this wouldn't work with 2 55-gallon food-grade dums.

Ease of Use:

This item is very easy to set up and use. It involved cutting a couple of holes into 5 gallon buckets. From there, I simply filled the top bucket and let the filter go to work.

Initially, the cabon will bleed deposits of carbon dust into your water, so you need to either soak/rinse the filter before hand, or run a bucket of water through it prior to use for consumption. The water is drinkable, but you will see carbon dust in it.

After the initial bucket, this filter works performed flawlessly! The water came out clean and without any odd taste. In fact, it tasted good!

Here are some Specifications for the unit.
(filters Manufactured by Winfield and Black Jack Industries)

Product is manufactured to meet:

National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42
National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 53
ISO 9002 Quality Standard
USA AEL Laboratories
USA Analytical Food Laboratories
USA Johns Hopkins University
British 5750 Quality Standard
England's Water Research council (WRc) Performance Standards
The filtration efficiency is 0.5 micron

Removal capabilities as follows:

>99% Arsenic 5 and 99% Arsenic 3 (special order)
>99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
>95% Chlorine and Chloramines
>99% Taste
>99% Odor
>98% Aluminum
>96% Iron
>98% Lead
>90% Pesticides
>85% Herbicides
>85% Insecticides
>90% Rodenticides
>85% Phenols
>85% MTBE
>85% Perchlorate
>80% Trihalomethanes
>95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons
>99.999% of particles larger than 0.5 micron (Staffordshire University Labs) (includes Anthrax)
>99.7% of particles larger than 0.3 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
>98% of particles larger than 0.2 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
>100% Giardia Lamblia
>100% Cyclospora
>100% removal of live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard)
>100% removal of Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 - A.C. fine dust - 4 log challenge)
>100% removal of E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)
>99.999% removal of Salmonella Typhil, Shigella Dysenteria, Kiebsiella Terrigena (Hyder Labs)

Product is silver impregnated and will not permit bacteria growth-through (mitosis)
provides a hostile environment for all microbiological organisms and will not support their growth
Ceramic elements may be cleaned 100 or more times with a soft brush or damp cloth.

Performance Features:

Easy installation
Good flow rate / Up to 1 gallon of clean water per hour (gravity flow)
Up to 300 gallons per hour (pressure flow)
Filter will accept water from floods, lake, rain, well, tap, river or stream
Semi/Annual filter replacement Cleansable with clean damp cloth
Shelf life is extended by shaking filter every 3-4 months to loosen media inside and prevent packing
Once in use, filter will last 6-8 months
JUST WATER, 669 Scenic Ranch Circle, Fairview TX 972-886-0263 e-mail: justwater4u@yahoo.com

You can find the Just Water filter at Monolithic's Marketplace for $23.50 + s/h.
http://shop.monolithic.com/products/jus ... rip-filter

source: http://www.ifshtf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 13 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am
I own two of these and after a year of research determined them to provide the best bang for the buck!

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 66 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:17 pm
I have one of these as well stored away in the buckets for JIC....will probably get a few more as funds allow it. I kinda want one of those dome houses the babtists build they look pretty neat lol.

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 13 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:34 pm
Disallowed wrote:I kinda want one of those dome houses the babtists build they look pretty neat lol.

I have wanted a done house ever since I saw a hurricane blow through and rip everything out except for the dome house. They claim they are are very resistant to most natural disasters but in this case I saw proof. I also like the idea of never needing to paint or replace shingles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:22 pm
I just ordered this today. Thanks for the link. I had been looking at filters for a while now. This one says it takes out chloramine, so I will test it and make sure and post back. Now I just need to find a fluoride filter that won't break the bank.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:39 pm
I was looking at these as a Replacement in the berkey. I thought it seemed good option but after reading the 6mo life span. I think the more Expensive berkey blacks are a better deal because of there longevity. Just my 2cents.. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:03 am
Wayward2 wrote:I was looking at these as a Replacement in the berkey. I thought it seemed good option but after reading the 6mo life span. I think the more Expensive berkey blacks are a better deal because of there longevity. Just my 2cents.. :D

Yeah, I was going to go that route too, but the black berkey doesn't remove chloramines which is what is used where I am, and in a lot more cities now. I just ordered some chloramine test strips also to make SURE that this filter actually removes them, since that was the main purpose for the purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:09 am
let us know the results of that test, please.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:39 pm
I got the water filter set up and have been using it for a week or so now. Got the chloramine/chlorine test strips in. Of course these are just test strips and not a deep water analysis but from what they show, it IS removing the chloramine. I also ordered the Berkey Fluoride filters but was unsure if they would work with this monolithic filter.

THEY DO!!! YIPPEE!

Below is the pics stream so you can see. I did the buckets like shown from monolithic, then used the filter. I did NOT remove the wing nut from the ceramic filter to add the fluoride filter. As you can see in the pictures, I simply GENTLY screwed one of the fluoride filters right onto the thread after the wing nut. This is actually how it is done on the Berkey filters as well.

Here is the whole photostream -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57454243@N04/sets/72157625545216235/

And a few of the pics below...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:50 pm
By the way...the total cost for this whole setup....as of today.

Monolithic filter with spigot $36.50 (including shipping)
2-Berkey Fluoride Filters $50.75 (including shipping)
2 New Food Safe White Buckets from Walmart $2.44/ea x 2 plus tax = $5.64
2 New Lids for buckets $ .96/ea x 2 plus tax = $2.22

Total = $95.11

I take into account that I am only using one of the fluoride filters. So I COULD technically cut the fluoride filter price in half I guess. Which means it would be around $70.

Return to Water