Welcome to SHTF Survival, Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Forums. Click here to register

Homemade berkey water Filter

Ways to Purify, distill, sterilize treat or filter water.
Questions / Answers / Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:45 pm
I dont know why one would pay so much for one of these. Why couldnt you take 2 five gallon buckets with lids, NEW of course. Stack em on one another, drill holes in the bottom of the top one, and the lid of the bottom one, stick the black replacement filters in it. Close it all up, and wa-la! You have a filter for pennies on the dollor!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:55 pm
This is the water filter I made with the Berkey black element. Total time: under 1 hour. Cost of PVC parts: $19.
Drill a 7/16" hole in bottom cap.

14" long 4" diameter tube holds about 2 qts of water

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 114 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 pm
Vagabound,

Good adaptation. I like it for its smaller foot print.

I have made my own berkey style as the OP stated above. It works well but is not as mobile as yours is.
"The more independent we become, the WEALTHIER we are!"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 pm
CTD has a kit available for the 5 gallon unit. Lehman's in southern Ohio has the best price I've found on Berky Black filters. The units that utilize the 5 gal. buckets are great for base camp operation. They can easily be rigged for continuous use with as big a holding tank as required for the number of people in your group.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:36 pm
Note that on my PVC canister an extension can be screwed into the top threaded adapter increasing its' capacity to whatever degree one can desire. Another important feature is the small diameter which makes the entire filter work more evenly instead of mostly the bottom half if the diameter of the container was larger, as in a 5 gal bucket as the container empties.

For those familiar with the Berkey, you know it has to be primed via a rather clumsy faucet/bushing arrangement. With this set up of mine I have plastic tubing which slides over the threaded stem on one end and on the other over an adapter to a hose. No disassembly required, just slide the tube over the stem and turn on the hose.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:09 am
Good points vagabound. Have you or do you know of any experiments using a Berky Black with a simple pressurized container ? Not extreme pressure mind you. But something as simple as a valve stem and tire pump setup.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:25 am
:gs:

I seem to learn something everytime I come here.

To make the setup easier:

How about using a siphon tube sealed into you PVC setup. Then you could use any container you want. Just have the PVC unit lower then the water level of the container and you could develope any perssure you want. For every 2 feet lower then the water level you will get 1 psi of pressure.

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 787 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:23 am
:gs: practical, affordable, and can be a life saver. I like it.
"Tell the Truth, know the escape routes and carry extra ammunition" Georgia Mason in the novel "FEED"

"If you have to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk." -Tuco

A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:36 pm
engineer wrote: How about using a siphon tube sealed into you PVC setup. Then you could use any container you want. Just have the PVC unit lower then the water level of the container and you could develope any perssure you want. For every 2 feet lower then the water level you will get 1 psi of pressure.

One reason why the gravity filters are so much more effective than pressurized systems is that they are not forcing the water, and contaminants thru. Note the screw on lid, I actually want to reduce the pressure so I will lightly tighten it so that the filtration slows down even more. I have considered adding a coffee filter to the top as some places we camp there is actual grit in our water containers from the local source.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:19 pm
Do you know if these filters can be back flushed when they get old?

Next

Return to Purification, Distillation, Filtration, Sterilization