Welcome to Survival Forum -SHTF Forum - Preparedness Forum. Click here to register

Motor Homes

SHTF vehicle or vehicles you will use in a Disaster
SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 177 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:31 pm
OK,

So before y'all start hurling and chuckling and all those other things we do when we hear about whales on the road, I wanted to ask a real question. :shock:

Anyone out there on the full time RV circuit? :pop:

Goin "on the road" is a long time vision of mine that is suddenly very available to me. I am looking for advice (and yes I know what asking that will get me! :D )

Still though we have preppers out there with school buses and other modes of transport, what about using a nicer RV as a permanent residence? Seems like it would give me a head start on buggin out if nothing else. shrug

So let the arrows fly, let the guffawing begin, and maybe somewhere in there someone will have some nuggets to share :cheers:

Digital Willie has recieved thanks for this post, by:

Lighthorse, nickdanger
Rating: 12.5%

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 98 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:31 pm
Phones...cell/ interweb
Media..... interweb/TV...Modem/Dish

Biggest problems are banking direct deposit, auto payments.......Not sure if I trust this all that much.

Mail....seems the biggest problem.
Survival is what you do when the game goes sideways.

hunter63 has recieved thanks for this post, by:

Lighthorse, nickdanger
Rating: 12.5%

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:15 pm
Hunter,

All good points! I am assuming that there is sufficient technology out there to support the lifestyle. However on that very point if TEOTWAWKI happens and I am on the road, will there be all of the access you describe? Would it make a difference if I was at home? :shock:

On the banking thing, it can cut both ways. If I cannot receive, I cannot pay, however if I cannot receive would my creditors be able to? :hb:

Mail is actually a relatively easy one I am told. forwarding services, and scanning to email are a couple of the ways it can be accomplished. But then you gotta trust the guys running the service! shrug

So phone and all is pretty easy. I don't have a land line any more. Have not had one for more than 7 years. Can use my cell as a hot spot if necessary as well! :cool:

Any way, I think the telecomm and banking thing is only a problem if the systems go out completely, and then everyone is in the crapper, and my gold and silver horde will make me a king anyway! :LOL2:

Just one thing on the payment idea. I plan on being debt free thanks to Dave Ramsey! (shameless plug) If that works then the only debt will be the motorhome, and if they want it they can come and get it! :nutz:

Anyway thanks for starting the conversation. You have me thinking about a several items I was taking somewhat for granted! :cheers:

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 1519 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:52 am
The only thing that would be a problem would be if you weren't paying attention. The SHTF, and you got caught to far from your base camp..... I like the Mobility Thing, but you do need a Base Camp. Nick and I are going to wait till after the SHTF, go pick out the nicest Motorhome on the lot. Party Time, and its all FREE!
Be ever so carful of the Intellects, It will be the Simple folks that hold the Mark.

Lighthorse has recieved thanks for this post, by:

nickdanger
Rating: 6.25%

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 98 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:22 pm
Spending one to 2 weeks a month at the cabin....no mail and 2 months in the winter i a different state...for several years.......The only sure way is to have a friend forward mail once a week.
Having mail forwarded by PO is unreliable and very slow....

SHTF you are gonna have more to worry about than mail, phone, TV......but still need to access your expenses.

Many places will not forward to General Delivery.....
If the plan is to finance a SHTF by carrying around cash and precious metals....make sure you have change.

Many people do the RV thing...ask on a RV site.....but gonna guess SHTF protection is not a big motivation.

Good luck
Survival is what you do when the game goes sideways.

Beginner
Beginner
Gave Thanks: 27 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 am
When I was still working, the Company I worked for provided a training program, the only problem was it was out here in California, and that meant coming here for a minimum of two years and then waiting for an opening where ever you wanted to go after. Some people opted for a small RV and learned the hard way how quickly you could overstay your welcome. Make sure to look into how long you can stay before they expect you to move on.

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 588 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:09 pm
They are notoriously unreliable. Almost no quality control. And it does not seem to matter how expensive they are. The more goodies on them, the more they seem to break.

I had a very expensive 5th wheel and I was thankful when I got rid of it. My two buddies each had higher end motor coaches and not much better.

Do NOT buy a Keystone product as they will not talk to you...they only talk to the dealers or certified repair men.

Buy it used as you take one heck of a hit on a new one when you unload it...and you will.
"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

NRA Endowment Member

dfwm has recieved thanks for this post, by:

DH-KS
Rating: 6.25%

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:40 pm
DFWM,

Thanks for the notes on resale. I am aware that the mark up on some of these is tremendous. Easy to talk 30% off retail on new units right on the lot! :shock:

And yeah I have seen lots of them going for more than 60% less than the retail after only a few years. shrug

Great note also about Keystone. I will be comparing much of that information before buying anything, but always welcome the input! :beer:

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 588 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:18 pm
DW

Keystone is horrible. The fuse failed on the hydraulic pump that powered the three slides on the 5th wheel. I could not find the damn fuse. I could not move the unit with the slides out and was stranded 250 miles from home. Called Keystone and they would not help me. I had to leave the unit on site and get a certified tech to fix it. It took the technician over an hour to find it and he was swearing at Keystone by then. To access it, the fuse panel had to be completely removed and it was buried in a rats nest of wires behind the panel. I wound up rewiring it so the fuse would be accessible. The units are "engineered" by guys who failed the common sense part of getting an education. Who puts a fuse where it cannot be serviced?

The fridge went in six times for repair. The "experts" changes "defective" boards twice and they eventually found a poor ground connection. Most of that work was done out of warranty. DO NOT buy a unit with a Norcold fridge..they had a class action suit over it.

Note: a lot of other nameplates are produced by Keystone...so be careful

BTW, I knocked 37% off the list price of the unit...but in the end it was no bargain.
"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

NRA Endowment Member

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 175 times

Blog:
View Blog (3)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 am
I have been looking into Rv'ing as a life style also. Seems very doable.
Rv's are no different than home ownership, except their life is estimated at 15 years. The key to maintenance is knowledge and realistic planning.
I'd have to go over some of my past research on this topic, didn't save any of the information. Look at some of the youtube vids, lots of full time rv'ers have vids full of good information there.
I'm considering one from a rental company, cheaper and more practical from a learning aspect. If it doesn't work out at least ya didn't blow the wad and can recover most of your investment.
The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright laws.
James Madison rightly warned that “a standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty.”
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost immediately he comes to the conclusion that government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable…” (HL Mencken, 1919)

Next

Return to BOV (Bug Out Vehicles)