Toilet Paper

Soap, toiletries, etc..
SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 306 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 pm
I know, we all need it. I try to store a month's worth, at minimum. Should my preps get far enough ahead, I'd like 6 months worth. At the local grocery store(Food Lion), I decided to compare instead of buying the regular brand. The average 12-roll pack had about 4-600 square feet. Prices ranged from 6-11 dollars. The economy brand(Smart Option) contained 1,416 square feet of toilet paper. The price was the lowest of all, at $5.99.

So what if it's John Wayne stuff,(rough, tough, and don't take no sh*t off nobody) at 25% of the cost per sq ft of name brand?

Just something to think about to save us all a little dough.
I'll keep my Freedom, Guns and my Constitution, you keep the change.

Blind faith in ignorant leaders is NOT Patriotism.

In the Wasatch National Forest of Utah, 504 sheep were killed by a single bolt of lightning. Sheep huddle in storms and the lightning bolt passed from one animal to another.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:41 am
You could also store rags for future use!

SHTF Tutor
SHTF Tutor
Gave Thanks: 160 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:10 am
I buy what I can get on sale with addition of coupons to lower the price, I buy whenever it is costing me an average of 30 to 45 cents per double roll, depending on the quality of the toilet paper.
I have a large bag of clean old towels/wash cloths put aside for after the toilet paper is gone. Along with a bucket for their washing alone.
Remember the days we had diaper pails and the diapers were rinsed s best they could then soaked in their bucket till wash day. Soaked in water with a little bleach added.
If Guns Kill People, Then... ~Pencils Misspell Words ~Cars Make People Drive Drunk ~Spoons Make You Fat

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 2388 times

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:39 am
I just keep collecting TP whenever it's on sale or I have a coupon. I admit to liking the cushy brands, but I waqtch my pennies. TP has no expiration date, so it's good for as long as you have room for it.
On a mountain top .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:44 am
You can also get toilet paper at dollar general for $5 that is 24 rolls, just like angel soft but dollar general brand, Look into it. you may be happy with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:01 am
I would also suggest printing this article off and storing it in your Book

http://www.shtfm.com/diy-how/topic9617.html

Its a article on How to Make toilet paper. The second one looks the best. But it's not a bad idea to keep on hand just in case.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:15 am
Not sure what a months supply looks like for an individual, guess that depends on how full of it you are. Keep in mind that our diets will drastically differ and thus so will our waste byproducts. You all may find that your bowels will be less regular unless you keep up a hydrated and fiber filled diet! So prep accordingly. Being full of sheist is never good figuratively or literally! Nor is it good for your health.
About rags, well I agree to their importance as they will afford you another opportunity to recycle. However do not sacrifice the importance of cleanliness and personal hygiene. I come from an era of cloth diapers and remember emptying the soiled ones in the toilet bowl and ringing them out prior to putting into a bucket for further washing in the machine. I don't recall ever wearing gloves, but that was in the day when we were with the luxury of an endless supply of readily available hot water, soap and bleach. In a SHTF situation you will likely not have this luxury so I advise a fair supply of latex cleaning gloves specifically to be used for hygiene, soap and bleach would be nice too. Along with the good that can come from the use of a weapon, a prepper should not forgo the importance of prepping for the simple things that are equally and maybe arguably more dangerous than a wound from a weapon. Some of these simple things may be dehydration, diarrhea, respiratory infections, athletes foot, etc... see 'ThePatriotNurse.com' for more info there.
Not just toilet paper but also feminine hygiene pads. Rags can be used here too. Believe it or not I recall my Grand Mother sharing these stories of how she and her sisters came into their cycles and how they handled them. Where do you think the (rather gross I must add) cliche "On the Rag" came from? Sorry women, my apologies for typing this distasteful fact, but it may help us men understand more your needs and how to expect them to be fulfilled in a SHTF situation. Again, cleanliness and personal hygiene are going to be life savers for us all.
:USA:
-RidgeRunner Out

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 46 times

Blog:
View Blog (3)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 am
Just a bit of info:

Remember, that part is also a "mucous membrane". It is another easy way for disease to get you. As such, your need to keep it clean and not expose it to germs will be of paramount importance during SHTF. Personally, the bleached rags are probably what we'll be using. ...or, if you're like me, with lots of fresh water available, a "bucket seat".

OK, so this is gross and if you want to stop reading here, fine, nobody will hold it against you.

I'll draw the line here ----------------------------------

:D

But, I have problems with the big H. Wiping with "John Wayne" paper just kills me. So, I usually do my business and then just hop in the shower and wash it off. ...at least in the mornings. Fresh and clean is the way to be. There are other ways to keep yourself clean and I'm sure we'll figure it out as supplies dwindle.

Personally, I demand the good stuff. I buy expensive TP and never even thing about it. When you sit all day, price doesn't really matter when it comes to comfort in that area. I've got, at normal usage levels, about 6 months worth on the shelf. I figure, though, its more of a trading item. A roll of toilet paper might be worth its weight in gold when it runs out. ...and I'll need the gold for later.
"I claim common law jurisdiction. I do not consent to this and I waive the benefit." -Me to the corporate enforcement officer at my next traffic stop.

"Before the dollar crashes we need to have a sound money system in place." -Giordano Bruno

"Government is the Anti-Midas. ...not to gold but to cr@p." -dochudson

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 861 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:11 am
I plan on using liberal politicans instead of toilet paper.... seems S&^% does not stick to them anyway.
"Tell the Truth, know the escape routes and carry extra ammunition" Georgia Mason in the novel "FEED"

"If you have to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk." -Tuco

A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

wulfin has recieved thanks for this post, by:

GAgypsy, ncwebnut, Rick
Rating: 18.75%

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 2388 times

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:13 am
from what I've read, a person goes thru about 72 rolls per year.
On a mountain top .

Next

Return to Hygiene