Tampons for bullet wounds

General Medical info, tips, and How-tos
SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 1711 times

Blog:
View Blog (2)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 pm
While I was in Iraq, our medic asked us to ask home to send boxes of those small compact tampons. We looked at him like he'd lost his mind until he explained that a tampon will absorb the blood and expand, sealing the wound. Not a bad Idea if you're out of quikclot. If you aren't expecting a paramedic any time soon, this could do alot to help keep someone alive. I am sure whoever gets the tampon won't like having it shoved into his/her newly aquired bullet hole, and I assue you they'll probably screem and yell like the bowls of hell, but at least they won't be losing anymore blood.

Feel free to add any other remedies for trauma medicine here.
*PRIVACY NOTICE:**
Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using www.shtfm.com or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen."—Enoch
Powell, Member of the British Parliament

"Learn to love Death's Ink Black Shadow as much as you love the Light of Dawn" - Unknown Spartan Quote

Resident Pothead

Pray not for an easy life. Pray for the STRENGTH to endure a difficult one.

The Lesson is in The Journey, Not the End Game - Eddie

Knight of Jerusalem
Gave Thanks: 187 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 pm
got 'em in all my kits, along with pads for covering wounds and duct tape to use as waterproof bandage.

"Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce’s answer was, “Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot.” - Jeff Cooper

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."-Thomas Jefferson

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 1753 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:53 pm
:gs:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:18 pm
Yep, those things are the best for any leaks you might spring.

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 7 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:24 am
Scented or Unscented???

No, all kidding aside, I actually heard this in a tactacial training class. Makes sense.

hk404me
hk404me

"Uh oh, better get Draco!"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:51 am
Listen guys. here is something you have to think about.
Is the person your sticking the tampon inside of EVER going to get advanced medical treatment?
If not.
Yes the tampon will stop the bleeding EXTERNALLY.
Yes if it is just in the muscle it will work fantastic.
Sucking chest wounds... NO TAMPON.
Gut wounds? Without advances treatment they will prolly die anyways so sure stick a tampon in it and let them bleed out internally.
Also think about this....
Whats going to happen after you stick a tampon inside the wound? Any dirt/debris/ect will be pushed further into the wound.
Also, the blood will clot and seal that tampon in the wound. When you go to remove it, you will cause more damage as well.
Please use traditional methods. PADS ARE GREAT. Please don't stick anything inside a wound you will most likely do more damage than good.
I am not completely against the idea because I can see a couple reasons to do it, but telling people just to Jam tampons into gunshot wounds might do alot more damage than good IF Advanced Medical treatment is not going to be available....

Tried, and true method.. EXTERNAL dressing, bandage, firm DIRECT Pressure... Pressure points, then if all else fails to stop the bleeding... well I think u know what the last ditch effort is. =(
Pads are GREAT absorbers, and even a tampon laid along a larger lasceration will work as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:57 am
the people who use tampons in wounds typically have nothing else to use, or don't have time to apply something better, and KNOW the patient will see advanced medical treatment later. They know what they are doing and don't just randomly jam tampons into every gunshot wound.
If you have NOTHING else to use this could work for the time being but it will have to come out sooner or later, and you better be prepared to deal with the person who is going to be in ALOT of pain from this removal and deal with just as much bleeding as before you used the tampon.

Please just use common sense,
When sh!t hits the fan, FIND someone to bring to your camp/area/community that has medical experience.
He can pull his own weight in other ways, plus be a great help when someone is hurt.
If nothing else, check out my B.O.BL. post next week. Print it out and learn anatomy and basic first aid. The life you save could be your own.

Best of Luck all.

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 1711 times

Blog:
View Blog (2)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:33 pm
Tampon is a temporary fix. I agree hatch, this shouldn't be your first choise. However, if it's what you got, it's what you've got. The basic idea is that it will fix the issue temporarily until you've got better conditions, like back at camp/home/hospital/whatever. You're also not always going to be able to find a doctor post shtf. As much as I would like to be able to, I don't imagine they'll be THAT easy to come by. If I am wrong, then awsome, but, one must assume that no help of the sort will be available.

That tampon has to come out sometime, and you're right about that as well. And, a gunshot wound typically causes more damage than just the surface, so you're right there as well. In all cases, advanced medical care should be sought in the event of a traumatic injury. I was just mentioning this because push comes to shove, it's not a bad idea, and a sterile tampon is better than dirty shirt any day of the week imo.
*PRIVACY NOTICE:**
Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using www.shtfm.com or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen."—Enoch
Powell, Member of the British Parliament

"Learn to love Death's Ink Black Shadow as much as you love the Light of Dawn" - Unknown Spartan Quote

Resident Pothead

Pray not for an easy life. Pray for the STRENGTH to endure a difficult one.

The Lesson is in The Journey, Not the End Game - Eddie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:14 pm
Yep =D It is good because a normal person who doesn't have any dressings/bandages will 50% of the time have one laying around the house. So it is redily available for MOST people when other things are not. It is a great idea I just wanted to make sure people understand it shouldn't be their first choice :D Sorry if i came off the wrong way about tampons haha I do agree with you though.... It is a great idea when your short on time and supplies. who knows it may save a couple lives. ;-)
Cheers!
:cheers:

Return to Medical