Welcome to SHTF Survival, Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Forums. Click here to register

The "homemade percocet" really works.

General Medical info, tips, and How-tos
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:42 am
I had read on another forum 2-3 years ago that in an emergency situation you can make a "homemade percocet" and that they work. Well I am here to tell you they do. Let me preface this by saying there are not many pain relievers that actually work for me. In fact I am one of those people that morphine has absolutely no effect on whatsoever. I have had kidney stones a few times and once they gave me enough morphine, as the doctor put it mildly, to put a full grown horse down, and it had no effect whatsoever on my pain. They finally gave me demerol and in about 3 seconds I was feeling no pain at all.

Ok here's the scenario. A tooth broke Friday that had an old filling in it. The root was exposed and even breathing air through my mouth was sending excruciating pain into me. I took a couple of advil and after about 15 minutes no relief. Then I remembered reading about the homemade percocet. Two advil and two tylenol. You can only do this like 2 times in a 24 hour period. I was in so much pain and my dental appointment was still 5 hours away. So I figured what the hell, I have nothing to lose. I took the two tylenol and I can tell you that in about 5-7 minutes the pain was gone and I felt like I had taken one serious pain reliever. My legs were weak and wobbly and I was indeed a little groggy but that seriously severe pain was totally 100% gone and the relief lasted until the dental appointment. If there are any medical doctors, nurses, emt's or pharmacists on here I would like to know if this is ok to do in an emergency or if there are serious long term implications for doing this in an emergency.

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 100 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:38 pm
Google: ibuprofen acetaminophen mix and of course you will find conflicting information.
Good to hear this works for you!
Wine is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 1678 times

Blog:
View Blog (2)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:23 am
I do this all the time, piggy back tylenol and motrin, doesn't do a whole lot.... Maybe I'm strange that way..... Has eased neck pain however.... But not with the punch of pain meds
*PRIVACY NOTICE:**
Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using www.shtfm.com or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen."—Enoch
Powell, Member of the British Parliament

"Learn to love Death's Ink Black Shadow as much as you love the Light of Dawn" - Unknown Spartan Quote

Resident Pothead

Pray not for an easy life. Pray for the STRENGTH to endure a difficult one.

The Lesson is in The Journey, Not the End Game - Eddie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 am
I have the problem of pain meds do nothing for me I went to the ER for a really bad tooth pain and they gave me a dental block that was supposed to last 6 hours and it was effective for 20 minutes for me. Its like my body just absorbs them and then do nothing and it has been like this since I got a really bad carbon monoxide poisoning and just about died.

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 843 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 am
medications effect people differently, some hit people hard and others get nothing from it
"Tell the Truth, know the escape routes and carry extra ammunition" Georgia Mason in the novel "FEED"

"If you have to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk." -Tuco

A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 2055 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:19 am
JM, I'm really happy to hear that you got useful pain relief from that combination. However, in my (36 years of) experience, I've never encountered that benefit from that combination. The only OTC combination that I know of that seems to work better together than separately is Ibuprofen and Aleve (naproxen).
Ignorance shouts, knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

I'd rather be morally correct.

Big government crushes the air out of its citizens more cruelly than the bully sitting on the skinny asthmatic kid. dochudson 2012

“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.” ~ Ayn Rand

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 81 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 am
you didnt five the IBU enough time to work.
15 MIN. is not long enough, takes about 45min. for it to work "give or take 10min."
if you chew them they work faster, also, drink a glass of grape fruit juice with it.
Grapefruit juice creates a higher half life in most meds. so they work longer.
~Id rather die fighting for freedom, Than live as a slave~

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 68 times

Blog:
View Blog (2)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:58 pm
Caffine pills taken with asprin,will boost the painkilling effect significantly.Two asprin chewed up along with a 200mg caffine have bee working better for my hand,than taking two loratab 5's,and an oxycontin that were perscriibed to me.Matt
I want to die in my sleep just like my Grandpa,not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car. ""I'm the one you go to when something absolutely has to go"Kaaboommm"!!!!""

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:49 pm
There is an prescription called Ibu-vicoden.200mg of IBU with 750of Hydrocodone.. This I take on & off with the regular lortbabs of 10/325. The less tylenol taken the better, ( thats the 325 part)if you must take these types of pain relievers regularly; because tylenol stresses the liver if taken too often. I have always found that an 800IBU with a Lortab is the best for me when needed..Because the Ibu is an anti-inflammatory while the other works on pain too..
The caffeine & aspirin I am going to try.. my tolerance level has made my meds barely noticeable..maybe something different would help!

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 68 times

Blog:
View Blog (2)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:06 pm
Thats what makes BC,and Goodys powder work like they do.They are both 1/3 caffine,2/3 asprin.
I want to die in my sleep just like my Grandpa,not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car. ""I'm the one you go to when something absolutely has to go"Kaaboommm"!!!!""

Next

Return to Medical