Welcome to SHTF Survival, Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Forums. Click here to register

Tactical Vests

Gear used for survival
SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 152 times

Blog:
View Blog (3)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 am
This is one of the most simple basic components of survival needs.
With the advent of the MOLLE systems, also totally customizable for user preferences.
I prefer the style with the clips in the front, If it gets hot you can loosen to allow air flow.
The WEB BELT, has so many uses and has proven itself over the years. So IMHO the tacvest should be of the style that incorporates the web belt.
There is a reason why Pilots have a survival vest as standard equipment. Re: SERE
Many items can be placed in the vest that will help one survive for days, Fishing line hooks. Steel wire cable, wire dykes, signal mirror, extra socks. So many possibilities.
When ya drop your ruck to engage, will you still have the necessities to survive?
If interested, here is a link to a ready tacvest,

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?p ... &CatID=754

I would like to see this discussion continue, I know you all have experience and some valued input as to what will make a tacvest an essential Item for basic survival needs.

After thought. I even purchased a 10' x 12' light weight tarp for emergency shelter, it can be attached to the web belt with blousing rubbers.
The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright laws.
James Madison rightly warned that “a standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty.”
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost immediately he comes to the conclusion that government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable…” (HL Mencken, 1919)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:21 am
My TacVest was purchased from the Sportsmansguide for around $50. It's a great design and quite durable. It's set up for use with a pistole belt (attached with velcro belt keepers at the bottom of the vest) adjustable enough to go over body armor, and has plenty of magazine pouches on the carrier. However, I still like the old H or Y harness and 782 gear set-up...it's cooler, easier to take on and off, goes over body armor better, seems to work better with a pack on, etc. Call me old fashioned...I didn't like the LBVs when they came out in the Fleet, either. Can't beat web gear, ammo pouches, canteens and a butt pack. Just my .02.

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 677 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm
Yep, I agree, a tactical vest set up ready to roll is the way to go. One warning, if you have an AK, the banana clips don't fit very well in the magazine pockets. They seem geared more for the AR-15 magazines. Ask the vendor if your clips fit before you buy if you use an AK-47.
Molon Labe - King Leonidas' response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. Translation: "Come and take them"

Gave Thanks: 25 times

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 pm
I agree i like the MOLLE systems as well. Very easy to configure on the fly to any users specs. And as for the AK mags not fitting in the pouches on vest, you might be able to find some molle mag pouches for a few bucks. Not 100% sure on that though, will have to do some research and get back on that. While i was in the military we used the MOLLE system on out ACU Flaks..... Though while i was in basic and AIT, we used the older style Y configuration with the pistol belt and i really liked it. It was very useful. I belive it was lumpy that sent a link in chat the other day of a vest that has a pistol holder in front, i like that design a lot. I may even get that one as it was also set up for MOLLE as well.
Why do I need a Gun? Because a cop is to heavy to carry around!

Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere - We Dare To Defend Our Rights
Corruptissima Re Publica Plurimae Leges - When The Republic Is at It's Most corrupt The Laws Are Most Numerous

My status

!!!DISCLAIMER!!!
Just because what I type is in black and white, does not mean it is true, false, or other wise intended for anything other than entertainment purposes.

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 2 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 pm
I run an Eagle chest rig set up for AK mags, the rig has PALS webbing along the sides for your BOK, dump pouch, etc. The AK mags fit very nicely into the pouches, they are held securely yet are easy to remove.
http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_AK47_Chest_ ... ag.572.htm

If you're using a molle vest and just need AK magazine pouches Emdom makes some of the best.
http://www.optactical.com/emcqbakdomag.html
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert

Blog:
View Blog (3)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:54 am
AK molle pouches,

http://www.arvadasurplus.com/molle-m4doublemag.html

http://www.uscav.com/search.aspx?Search ... &TabID=548

Just so you all know, I have not used any of these vendors. I'm posting links for Research purposes only, I do not represent any of the vendors.
I just love to look at stuff and dream :D
The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright laws.
James Madison rightly warned that “a standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty.”
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost immediately he comes to the conclusion that government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable…” (HL Mencken, 1919)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:55 pm
Just a quick note on the AK mags. There is a Chinese chest mag pouch that is made for ak mags. They usually come in od green and have wood barrels and fabric hooks to close the mag pouch. These are usually Chinese Military Issue.

I have seen some on ebay, Rothco and a few other sights. They tie in the back. Pretty basic but work well and are pretty durable.

I used to carry them. And have used them.

Just my two cents :)

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert

Blog:
View Blog (3)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:33 am
Found another tacvest,
Design is mesh, though I can't tell for sure if ya can attach a web belt.

Dutch Military M.O.L.L.E. Vest.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/n ... x?a=645025

Return to Gear