Welcome to SHTF Survival, Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Forums. Click here to register

Food Storage 101- What To Store

How to's and DIY food storage by Herbalpagan.
Food Storage 101
SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 2317 times

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 am
I've been asked the question :WHAT do I store?"...there are many lists on line that give you reccommendations, as well as many threads on forums that offer the same advice, but everyone needs a review. Every prepper has a different answer to this as well, so hopefully we'll get feed back from other preppers that we can discuss.

The first answer to WHAT to store is simple and easy: Store what you eat and eat what you store. This means that if you family eats pasta with sauce once a week, then store 52 meals of pasta and sauce. Whether you make your own sauce or not, it's a pretty easy formula. You can continue on through each meal of the day and a full years worth of menus. Chances are that you are like most people and you eat the same things every two weeks or so.
I always suggest that you make a menu of what you would normally eat in a two week period:
Day 1
Breakfast: oatmeal, toast and jam, coffee
Lunch: soup & sandwich
Dinner: Hamburg Casserole
Continue on until you have two weeks done.
Then make a list of ingredients needed to make these items.
Oats
Bread flour, yeast, salt
Jam
Coffee
Soup/soup ingredients (veggies, stock,pasta, seasonings)
Hamburger, potato, seasoning, veggies

You will have quite the list, but you'll start noticing that many ingredients are repeated. This will form the bulk of your "list" on what to stock up on. If you wouldn't touch a kidney bean or carrots if your life depended on it, why would you waste money stocking up on it? While there are many things that you can grow yourself to contribute to the stockpile, there will be things that you won't be able to.
Realistically, many of us, no matter how hopeful, will never be able to grow sugar, salt, coffee, wheat or rice. If you use flour or any of those items, this might be where your second "layer" of preps would be. All of those items (except coffee) have a prectically unlimited shelf life. Why not stock up on them a bit more? You will always use them and they won't go bad, AND they will never be cheaper than they are now!
On a mountain top .

Herbalpagan has recieved thanks for this post, by:

Bidadisndat, dreadstalker, Fictional Character
Rating: 18.75%

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:49 am
So, aside from getting a years worth of the ingredients on your menu, consider getting an extra year of :
salt
wheat (to make flour)
sugar
coffee (easily it will last a couple of years. some people get the green coffee beans in #10 cans.)
rice (if you eat it, and make sure it is regular white rice as the other types don't seem to last as long in storage)
seasonings (the ones you can't grow like cinnamon, black pepper etc)
oats
dried corn (if you don't think you can grow your own)
dried beans (again, if you don't think you can reliably grow your own)

HOW MUCH to store?
Salt - consider stocking a non iodized salt like kisher or canning. Yes, the iodized is helpful, but it shouldn't be used for suring or pickling. I have about 25# of each, but I plan to get more. This will last me my life time in normal circumstances, but should I ever need (or want) to cure meat, I would need more. Salt was once worth it's weight in gold it was so important, so I doubt you can store too much of it.

Wheat - a loaf of bread takes a bit more than a pound of flour (or a pound of wheat). Bread is a staple and you'll use more that one pound a day (baked goods, biscuits, treats, pasta) I have 1200 pounds stored and it should go the three of us for 3 years. As I get more room and money, I will get more. Why should I??? Wheat doesn't go bad, flour does. I can't grow wheat here, so I'll just stock up for ever as I can.

Sugar -How much do you go though in a week? How much do you use if you are making jam? Preserving all your fruit? Baking every day? Making treat by hand? Sugar doesn't go bad and it's gone up 5 cents a pound in the last 6 months. I only have about 250 pounds stored up and would like to triple that. But you can suppliment with growing Stevia, raising honey or tapping for maple syrup.
Last edited by Herbalpagan on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
On a mountain top .

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:58 am
Special note on seasonings:

Herbs can replace many flavorings you might use to cook with and certainly you can "live without". However, spices are usually grown in exotic areas and many can't even begin to think about how they'd get them. For thousands of years, spice traders and their wares were highly sought after. Women would keep "spice chests" with the rare spices they managed to get and these chests were often passed down in the family as well as kept under lock and key because they were so precious.

Consider purchasing your spices in bulk online (http://www.atlanticspice.com/). Go in with friends if you need to, but get them while they are cheap!
Cinnamon
Cloves
Nutmeg
Allspice
Cumin
Corriander

Check your cupboard to see what you use the most, get them and repackage into vacuum sealed packs.
They will be worth their weight in gold if TSHTF.
On a mountain top .

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 785 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:17 am
:gs:

Thanks Herb for providing the suggestions. For many, salt will go from something to be avoided in thier meals to a must have or die situation faster then they can imagine, if SHTF. Many canned goods are now low salt or no salt, I see no salt added on so much packaging. We are lucky that we live in a time that salt is common, but as you pointed out, SALT used to have extreme value. Stocking up on salt is cheap right now. After SHTF unless you live near a salt mine or a place that salt can be easily made, your in big trouble. Below are some things I found about it on internet.

"Lack of sodium in your body throws this pump out of wack and can cause your heart to fibrillate (quiver) and not pump blood. You most commonly hear of this with people doing stupid stunts involving drinking large amouts of water."

"Eating very little salt can have harmful effects. So can losing a lot of salt from the body. For instance, a manual worker in a hot climate like India's uses the cooling action of evaporated sweat to maintain body temperature -- another item the body regulates. As much as 1 litre of sweat might be lost every hour. As much as 25 grams of salt can be lost through sweat on a hot day. In the hottest parts of Rajasthan, it might be twice or thrice that much."

"If the loss of salt continues, the brain is starved of blood. Fainting and eventually unconsciousness result. Before the days of intravenous drip-feeding, people would die of such unconsciousness."
"Tell the Truth, know the escape routes and carry extra ammunition" Georgia Mason in the novel "FEED"

"If you have to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk." -Tuco

A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Gave Thanks: 1055 times

Blog:
View Blog (32)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:22 am
Agreed wufin and as for the whole NO SALT thing i believe it is due to many not SWEATING anymore (air conditioning)

So as with everything it depends on your environment, yea if you work but do not sweat you may not need as much salt as I do.
Click Here For Google Search Of SHTFM.COM
Click Here For OUR Search Of SHTFM.COM
What Does BOB, BOL, OPSEC And other Acronyms mean ? Click Here To Find Out

10% Off Life Lock - Click Here to learn more

**PRIVACY NOTICE:**
Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using www.shtfm.com or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law, under section UCC 1-103 1-308
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:35 am
Don't forget that in a long term SHTF situation, salt has preservation value, particularly for meat. Canning is good (but salt is recommended for each jar), but just try canning a whole deer or moose :shock: before it goes "off"! Do you have the stockpile of canning jars for that? (I don't)
Thus smoking and salting becomes valuable to learn. Salting involved packing prepared meat in layers and layers of salt...that's a lot of salt! Consider finding bulk sources for coarse sea salt. It is my understanding that this salt can be used over again, but I'll have to do more research on this.
Making saurkraut? You'll need lots of salt! Pickling? You'll need lots of salt!

Consider getting a trash can and lining it with a food grade plastic liner and filling it with salt...it won't be "too much".
On a mountain top .

Site Admin
Site Admin
Gave Thanks: 1055 times

Blog:
View Blog (32)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:44 am
Herbalpagan wrote:Consider getting a trash can and lining it with a food grade plastic liner and filling it with salt...it won't be "too much".

Before we moved we had over 200 # of salt , it is cheap now as wuffin said.

We need to get more but we do not have access to the bulk we once did , but that is what i am doing today is looking where to get bulk items local or semi local.
Click Here For Google Search Of SHTFM.COM
Click Here For OUR Search Of SHTFM.COM
What Does BOB, BOL, OPSEC And other Acronyms mean ? Click Here To Find Out

10% Off Life Lock - Click Here to learn more

**PRIVACY NOTICE:**
Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using www.shtfm.com or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law, under section UCC 1-103 1-308
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:06 pm
I have a five gallon bucket of rice and one of black beans :new: needless to say theres room for growth. ive got lots of water though. I think im gonna get some more of the dietary staples, but i plan to get a years worth of MREs. theres a store not to far from where i live that sells them by the case for $70. there the real ones too. i was looking online and the fake ones go for over a hundred and only last 5 years instead of 25. I think it ~$1000 for 30 cases www.preparetoday.org

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:08 pm
ArkBuilder wrote:I have a five gallon bucket of rice and one of black beans :new: needless to say theres room for growth. ive got lots of water though. I think im gonna get some more of the dietary staples, but i plan to get a years worth of MREs. theres a store not to far from where i live that sells them by the case for $70. there the real ones too. i was looking online and the fake ones go for over a hundred and only last 5 years instead of 25. I think it ~$1000 for 30 cases http://www.preparetoday.org

Is that (MRE's) what you WANT to eat? They supposedly only have a 7 year shelf life. I prefer to store 'real" food, it it better suited to keeping you satisfied and for not causing digestive upsets during an emergency. I don't know if it's just for you or if you have a family, so maybe it would be ok.
On a mountain top .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:36 am
I've just begun starting to store food ( :new: ). Initially, I was buying things on sale but then I realized that those aren't foods that we normally eat in our family so it felt pointless. We typically eat fairly healthy, very rarely do we eat from cans unless I'm using tomato sauce, paste, or I want to add a small amount of beans to a meal I'm making. I had a dehydrator in the garage, so this week I experimented with dehydrating a few different types of veggies and we're going to reconstitute them and give them a taste. I think if I could store a good amount of organic veggies, fruits, and grains that would be a more realistic fit for our family. We currently use a bucket system for our rice and beans, but I'm horrendous at making beans so I'm not cycling through them like I should. Obviously I need to work on that! I hadn't considered salt, and I'm not sure how to store milk, eggs, and butter for the long haul. We do have an LDS cannery near my home, so I think I'm going to make a trip over to see what they've got.

I need a good way to store meat though, as dehydrating doesn't seem as if it will work.

Next

Return to Food Storage 101 by HP