Welcome to SHTF Forum, SHTF Preparedness. Click here to register

How to Make Toilet Paper

Do it yourself DIY, How to do things and instructions. Lessons and help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:04 pm
When I talk to people,I tend to ask them if there were no store what would you miss the most.
The Answer 95% of the time...Toilet Paper! So I wanted to find out How to make toilet paper for when and if it runs out after tshtf and here is what I came up with on a Google search.

From e-How.com
How to Make Toilet Paper
By Ethan Pendleton, eHow Contributor

If you want something done right, do it yourself. Sometimes, this includes making your own toilet paper. When you supply your own TP, you get exactly the kind you want. The stuff you buy in the store might have too much perfume, or may not be soft enough. No matter your preferences, this is your chance to stock your bathroom with the perfect tissue. Thankfully, you can do this with a minimum of ingredients and fuss. Heres how to make your own toilet paper.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Blender
* Cotton
* Wood
* Lotions
* Large screen

How to Make Toilet Paper
1. Start by making the pulp for your toilet paper. This is the slurry that you will dry in sheets. Get some soft wood, such as pine. (For obvious reasons, using hardwoods is not the best idea.) Cut the pine with a band saw until you are left with very thin pieces and lots of sawdust.

2 Put the sawdust into a blender. (You might not want to use a new appliance to make your pulp.) Add some cotton fibers. It might be hard to cut cotton balls into small pieces, so use something looser. Try different fibers, such as polyester or even silk, if you're feeling adventurous. Pour a few tablespoons of moisturizing hand lotion into the mix and finish it up with a little water, just enough to let all of the solids move around.
3. Blend the mixture into a slurry. Don't worry about overdoing it; the puree setting is just fine. All of the fibers, pulp and lotion should be mixing together, the pieces getting progressively smaller. If the solids are clumping up, add more water.
4. Pour the slurry over a screen. The water will fall right through, leaving a sheet of toilet paper. You can go as thick or as thin as you like, and you can use a round or rectangular screen; the point is that it's up to you.
5. Put the screen on a cloth or paper towel, then place a heavy, flat object on top of your sheet of toilet paper. This will get the majority of the water out. Transfer this semi-dry sheet to another flat surface and repeat until you have made as much toilet paper as you'll need. Stack your sheets after they've dried completely.
6. Experiment until you have found the right recipe and procedure to give you the desired results. Try adding more lotions or less water. If you prefer fragrant toilet paper, add a perfume of your choice.

This was on Tribe.net

How To Make Toilet Paper

Basic Tools: Two Large Towels. A Large pot to cook with. A Ten gallon bucket or tub. A wooden plank or movable flat surface, Plenty of flat space, Scissors, Rolling Pin

Optional Tools: a cinder block, spray bottle, rubber mallet, pizza cutter. a cloth sack

Acceptable materials:
Newspaper, opened envelopes or general paper that needs to be recycled. Try to avoid papers that have a waxy surface as they may be chemically treated with synthetic gloss. (Generally the kind used in catalogs, food packaging and candy wrappings)

Grass, leaves, and other thin vegetation parts. Choose extremely pliable fibers that will not harden once the paper has been stored for long periods. Also be sure that the materials used are hypoallergenic. (Just be sure you know its not poison ivy..)

Softening agents: Aloe, vegetable oils, baby oil, lotions.(Liquid fabric softener works best, but if you had access to it you probably wouldn't be making your own toilet paper) This ingredient helps keep the tissue from hardening while its stored in heat.

Anti-bacterial: Witch Hazel. (While this step is not mandatory, if you decide to skip this ingredient or its not available, you may wish to boil the materials longer to kill off spores and micro-organisms that cause yeast infections in YI-prone women)

Step One: Soak any paper that contains ink in a bucket or tub to remove as much ink as you can. This part is mainly to keep the ink from getting on you when the tissue is used. Most inks and paper dyes are harmless. (I sometimes skip this step the results are fine for most people)

Step Two: Add shreds of dry papers, leaves, grass etc to your large pot. If you have wet paper that's been soaked or was rained on, add that second to weigh down the loose paper.

Step Three: Fill the pot with water. The amount of water should be double the depth of the paper materials.

Step Four: Start to slowly cook the materials; don't let it boil too much in the beginning to allow the dry materials to absorb some of the water. This step takes about an hour of slowly simmering. You can stir the pot to speed up this process but its not really necessary either.

Step Five: Raise the temperature of the pot so that it starts to boil. Let it rapidly boil for at least half an hour, adding water if it looks to be rapidly depleting. Sift out any foam that rises to the top, this is glue, ink residue, spores and other particles that should be thrown out. If you have to add water, try to remove the particles before you add water to keep them from being reintroduced into the materials.

Step Six: Turn the heat down once you see that it is starting to be more like a pulp. The paper will be broken down into clumps. The vegetation may not be as pulpy but that is fine.

Step Seven: Scoop out as much of the water as you can to lighten the pot a bit. Get as much of the water out as you can without disturbing the pulp. (If you didn't get a lot of pulp and mostly got smaller broken down particles that cant easily be separated by scooping then skip this step)

Step Eight: When the remaining material cools down enough that it is comfortable to touch, (and the pot isn't hot!) gently tilt the pot so that the water runs through a terry cloth towel or your cloth sack. This removes the water, and doesn't allow the smaller particles to escape. Once the pot is empty, gently squeeze the water out, but don't squeeze out enough to dry out the pulp too much.

Step Nine: In this next step we are going to return the materials to the cooking pot, but the pot is now used for mixing, you do not need to heat the materials any further. (Unless you skipped the witch hazel. If so, please repeat steps six thru nine, allowing the materials to boil rapidly for at least one half hour) You are going to add about a half cup of witch hazel for every ten pounds of pulp in your pot.

Step Ten: Next, add about 1/8 cup of your softening agent per every ten pounds of pulp. Gently kneed and fold it into the pulp, being careful not too remove too much liquid. If the pulp doesn't have a slightly oily film on it then add more as needed. (It should be filmy throughout but not oily)

Step Eleven: Scoop out the materials with your hands onto a large towel that has been placed on a firm and flat surface. Use a greased rolling pin to spread the pulp into a thin layer. It is important to get the paper as thin as you can, this will make it more pliable and easier to use. If you get lumps that are significantly raised, you can use a rubber mallet to gently tap the tissue back into shape.

Step Twelve: Place a second towel over what you currently have, the pulp will be sandwiched between these two layers. Place a plank or rigid flat surface over the towel and place something heavy on top of it. (Or walk back and forth gently on the plank to squeeze out all of the water) After about twenty minutes remove the plank, and very slowly and gently remove the top towel. (If the towel sticks too much then you have used too little softener)

Step Thirteen: Dry off the plank used to press the towels together, and swiftly but carefully flip towel over so that the pulp is facing down. (Easier to do with two people if you are making a large quantity at one time!)

Step Fourteen: Gently pull the towel away slowly, leaving nothing but the plank and pulp.

Step Fifteen: Allow the sun to bleach and dry your toilet paper, it shouldn't take more than a few hours if the weather is right. If it is too cold to do this step, then simply place the materials in any warm area where it wont be disturbed.
Step Sixteen: Once the sheet has dried, cut the pieces of toilet paper into manageable pieces. If you have large hands, then use your hand as your guide to how large the pieces should be. If you have smaller hands, then add about an inch and a half above your fingers.

Tips and Tricks!

Re-Boiling the materials a second time should take care of any micro-organisms you missed the first time, but if you are still concerned or want to skip the re-boil, any type of homemade antiseptic will do the trick, (yes even moonshine!) The trick is to wring out as much liquid as you can once its been sterilized, and allow a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate. Then you just double the softening agent to insure that you don't have a tingling sensation when you use it..

If you think your tissue is a little rough and want a more commercial texture, then try diluting your softening agent in a clean spray bottle and gently spraying the tissue just after you set it aside to dry. Don't use too much softener, or it won't be as absorbent.

For a stronger tissue use a little bit of raw cotton, chicken feathers, or even loosely mixed in animal sheerings. (Strangely dog, cat, sheep etc fur was once used in toilet tissue to add strength. Human hair briefly also!)

If your paper falls apart its too loose. You may have used too much dried or dead vegetation and not enough recycled paper and live materials. To combat this, put saw dust or green leafy vegetation in the bottom of your pot, as it breaks down it releases tiny beads of sap that act as a glue.

If it breaks when you try to flip it, spread softening agents on the tip of your fingers, and gently press it back together.

If you are making a large amount at one time, consider using a pizza cutter to cut the paper while its still damp to keep it from breaking as you maneuver it during the cutting process.
Last edited by Salc0r on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: funny characters from when server was down

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 863 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 pm
:gs:
"Tell the Truth, know the escape routes and carry extra ammunition" Georgia Mason in the novel "FEED"

"If you have to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk." -Tuco

A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

wulfin has recieved thanks for this post, by:

goinpostal
Rating: 6.25%

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 112 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:43 pm
basic recipe for making writing paper.

You can vary the color but using grass and flower petals.
LIVE FREE & DIE WELL

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 68 times

Blog:
View Blog (2)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:53 pm
Your comment about the poison ivy had me LMAO.That would be what you put in place if any rouges are taking over the place.If it were the PAW,I figured that would be how paper money would gain it's value back.It already comes in sheets,can be washed/sterilized,dried out and reused.Once it's finally worn out,you can pulp it and add it to your mixture for making more.Matt
I want to die in my sleep just like my Grandpa,not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car. ""I'm the one you go to when something absolutely has to go"Kaaboommm"!!!!""

Site Admin
Site Admin
Gave Thanks: 1085 times

Blog:
View Blog (32)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:21 pm
:congrats: MADE this a STICKY !!
Click Here For Google Search Of SHTFM.COM
Click Here For OUR Search Of SHTFM.COM
What Does BOB, BOL, OPSEC And other Acronyms mean ? Click Here To Find Out

**PRIVACY NOTICE:**
Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using www.shtfm.com or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law, under section UCC 1-103 1-308
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:39 pm
Johnny wrote::congrats: MADE this a STICKY !!

:ts: WOO HOO!!!

Thanks Johnny!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:08 pm
:gs: I hope we never have 2 . but glsd 2 know how 2. thanks 4 the info

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 am
:gs: :USA:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:33 pm
Oh my, I hope we never get to this point, but I guess you never know. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:26 pm
Great post...I'll be printing it out to keep on hand...no pun intended.

Next

Return to DIY / How To's / Lessons