Do it yourself DIY, How to do things and instructions. Lessons and help
SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 323 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:30 pm
http://www.standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/nwss/s60p794.htm

IN AN EARLIER THREAD THE SUBJECT OF HOME AIR FILTRATION IN THE CASE 0F FALLOUT FROM A NUCLEAR
ACCIDENT, A HOME BUILT AIR PURIFIER PLAN WAS SOUGHT.
LIKE A DOG GNAWING A BONE, I KNEW I HAD SEEN A VERY GOOD PLAN SOMEWHERE, AND THOUGH IT TOOK
ME A WHILE, I FINALLY LOCATED IT.
HERE IT IS.

Nuclear War Survival Skills
Home by Cresson Kearny

Appendix E

• How to Make and Use a Homemade Plywood Double-Action Piston Pump
• Table 1. Comparison of Plyw...
• CUTTING OUT THE PLYWOOD PARTS 1....
• 13.Permanently a...
• OPERATING THE PUMP 1....
PreviousNext

How to Make and Use a Homemade Plywood Double-Action Piston Pump

THE NEED

Ventilating pumps-mostly centrifugal blowers capable of operating against quite high resistance to airflow-are used to force outdoor air through most high-protection-factor fallout shelters and through almost all permanent blast shelters. Low-pressure ventilating devices, including ordinary bladed fans and homemade air pumps such as KAPs and Directional Fans, cannot force enough air through a permanent shelter's usual air-supply system consisting of pipes, or of pipes with a blast valve, a filter, and the valves needed to maintain a positive pressure within the shelter.

Manually cranked centrifugal blowers, or blowers that can either be powered by an electric motor or be hand-cranked, are the preferred means of ventilating permanent shelters from Switzerland to China. The main disadvantages of efficient centrifugal blowers are:

1.They are quite expensive. For example, in 1985 a good American hand-cranked blower, that pumps only about 50 cubic feet per minute (50 cfm) through a shelter's pipes, blast valve and filter, retails for around $250. An excellent foreign blower that enables one man to pump somewhat larger volumes sells for about twice as much.

2.Not enough centrifugal blowers could be manufactured quickly enough to equip all shelters likely to be built during a recognized crisis threatening nuclear attack, and lasting for weeks to several months.

Therefore, there is need for an efficient, manually operated, low- cost ventilating pump that:

3.Can pump adequate volumes of outdoor air through shelter- ventilating systems that have quite high resistances-up to several inches water gauge pressure differential.

4.Will be serviceable after at least several weeks of continuous use.

5.Can be built at low cost in home workshops by many Americans, using only materials available in most towns.

6.Could be made by the millions in thousands of shops all over the U.S., for mass production during a recognized prolonged crisis, using only plywood and other widely available materials.

To produce such a shelter ventilating pump, during the past 20 years I have worked intermittently designing and building several types of homemade air pumps. However, until I was traveling in China as an official guest in October 1982 and saw a wooden double- action piston pump being used, I did not conceive or come across a design that I was able to develop into a shelter-ventilating pump that meets all of the requirements outlined above. Now I have made and tested a simple homemade Plywood Double-Action Piston Pump, described below, that satisfies these requirements. Three other persons have used successively improved versions of these instructions to make this model, and several others have contributed improvements.

HOW A PLYWOOD DOUBLE-ACTION PISTON PUMP WORKS

Fig. 1 pictures the box-like test model described in these instructions.

Fig. 1. Plywood Double-Action Piston Pump, with manometer attached for tests

GREAT PHOTOS AND CHARTS AT LINK ABOVE
“ Ever sift sand through a screen? ... We Bene Gesserit sift people to find the humans. ”

— Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam, Dune by Frank Herbert.

iamusul has recieved thanks for this post, by:

dataman19, RRMom
Rating: 12.5%

Knight of Jerusalem
Gave Thanks: 187 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:11 pm
one thing you need to understand about fallout is...it's dust. it's dust, ash and dirt thrown high up into the air and irradiated by the fireball of the blast. as dust it can be dealt with fairly easily. also, when you realize that it is the accumulation of dust that poses a problem, not the occasional particle you realize that most filtration is overkill. an intake pipe (with a cover) extending several feet above any flat surface will already remove 99.9% of the dust from the air that comes in as that dust will settle to the ground and the suction from the ventilation system isn't strong enough to draw it up. for the small amount that does come in a simple flannel covered frame through which the air must pass will stop 99% of the remainder.

at that rate, even if the peak radiation level is 1000R the amount that gets in will be well under .01R...a reasonably safe level for anyone.

"Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce’s answer was, “Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot.” - Jeff Cooper

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."-Thomas Jefferson

Christian for Israel has recieved thanks for this post, by:

ncwebnut, VillageIdjit

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 311 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 pm
so what about an oil/water bath? It should remove the particles floating through the air...just saying.

No knocks for ignorance, I've been too busy the past few years scrounging to prep food and munitions that I'm just now starting to look into the big things.

Regarding the oil/water bath, think high school...water bong.
I'll keep my Freedom, Guns and my Constitution, you keep the change.

Blind faith in ignorant leaders is NOT Patriotism.

In the Wasatch National Forest of Utah, 504 sheep were killed by a single bolt of lightning. Sheep huddle in storms and the lightning bolt passed from one animal to another.

Knight of Jerusalem
Gave Thanks: 187 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 pm
that may indeed work, but the minute particles of fallout aren't a danger...it's exposure to large amounts over long periods of time that must be avoided, such as when someone comes in from outside with contaminated clothing and it is not disposed of outside the shelter. the small amount of dust that might get past an elevated intake pipe or a flannel filter won't equal even background radiation.

i'm afraid that many people, not recognizing this and being too fearful of that little bit of dust will limit airflow into their shelter to the point that they asphyxiate themselves. or worse yet, decide the effort is beyond them and not even attempt to build a shelter to begin with.

another thing most people don't know is how much air is required for a given number of people. the average adult (anyone over 12) requires about 400 cubic feet of fresh air each hour. for a family of 5 with teen age children that is around 2000 cu ft of new air every hour...a lot to ask from a home built pump that may be, at best, moving only a few cu ft of air per pump. and that flow must be maintained 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for as long as you remain in the shelter.

by utilizing the methods i listed above you can minimize resistance to airflow and use a low pressure, high volume fan (battery operated preferably) to provide enough air for as long as you need to stay sheltered at minimum additional work for the shelter occupants.

"Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce’s answer was, “Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot.” - Jeff Cooper

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."-Thomas Jefferson

Christian for Israel has recieved thanks for this post, by:

iamusul, Lighthorse

Return to DIY / How To's / Lessons