Salvaging?

Do it yourself DIY, How to do things and instructions. Lessons and help

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 280 times

Blog:
View Blog (3)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:41 pm
Good ideas Grim: "Commandeer" the right vehicle, a hard-hat and a pair of overalls for each of the salvage crew, and you might not look too much out of place. Could also carry a decent jack and perhaps a small compressor, hose and impact wrenches. Great for retrieving wheels/tyres from abandoned vehicles, etc. And of course, a decent tow-hitch is a must have!
When in doubt, apply rule ·223 or ·308 -- unless you have a more preferred calibre.

Banned
Banned
Gave Thanks: 293 times

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:41 pm
It'd be good to have some nonsense business cards printed out...not imitating any government agency, but something vague. "PPR SVC, Inc." with bogus street address, like a business plaza, bogus or real business phone numbers and a scribbled name. When someone asks questions, impatiently hand them a card, "Call Doug when the phones are back up." Heck, even have bogus reciepts.

Often when people have a point of contact in their hand, they back off or believe they've met what they felt they should do.
-GrimOne-future -Fan Replacer post SHTF.
-
Post trauma means you SURVIVED it, quit whining.-Shig Takada
-
My old motto, "Speak like Gandhi, eat like Buddha, shoot like Crockett!"

grimOne has recieved thanks for this post, by:

iamusul
Rating: 6.25%

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 163 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:07 pm
"Federal Toxic Waste Surveyors" ""Pacifica Gas And Electric Safety" "Disease Control Center Investigator"
+1Christian4Israel

Banned
Banned

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:25 pm
good idea, show up in hazmat suits and ask frantically "What are you people still doing here???"

Better than Mastercard, during TEOTWAWKI.

[Yes, revealing my plans one by one.]
-
-

grimOne has recieved thanks for this post, by:

dochudson, Rick
Rating: 12.5%

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 112 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:28 pm
frankly rather then try salvaging during an emergency I will wait ...

Don't need the legal problems if the emerrgency blows over.

It's only salvaging if there is no one else who has a claim to it.
LIVE FREE & DIE WELL

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 280 times

Blog:
View Blog (3)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:41 pm
grimOne wrote:good idea, show up in hazmat suits and ask frantically "What are you people still doing here???"

:D I love it!
When in doubt, apply rule ·223 or ·308 -- unless you have a more preferred calibre.

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 1717 times

Blog:
View Blog (2)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 am
:D I like that one with hazmat suits.....

LOTS of good stuff post SHTF here. Meanwhile, I'll be scoping out some good spots to look for stuff I may need. Sporting Goods places look like it might be good to start with. ALOT of idiots work in the bigger chain stores and may be inclined to toss good stuff once in a while. Broken Machetes and knives can be salvaged and fixed if one is inclined (Broken lower on the machete blade, how about a nice skinning knife then??), you never know what you'll come across. I've been eyeballing pallets, too, for use to stack wood on to dry, compost pile, etc. Post SHTF, I plan to wait till things calm down a bit, then go in and see what I can find.

I never bothered to think of state facilities for things. THAT was an awsome post, I'd have never thought about fuel at these places.

Curiosity question... How hard is it to drive a semi truck? POST SHTF I was thinking it may take one of these thigns to move stuff if I find enough......
*PRIVACY NOTICE:**
Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using www.shtfm.com or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen."—Enoch
Powell, Member of the British Parliament

"Learn to love Death's Ink Black Shadow as much as you love the Light of Dawn" - Unknown Spartan Quote

Resident Pothead

Pray not for an easy life. Pray for the STRENGTH to endure a difficult one.

The Lesson is in The Journey, Not the End Game - Eddie

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 163 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:16 am
Many Now have fully Automatic Transmissions - 12 speeds or more. Power Steering. It ain't like the old days, with Monster clutch springs and double clutching up and down...and Required the Arms of Popeye too!

I had to learn to drive the yard Hustlers that are common in the Container yards. Drove them all over the Port Areas - fifteen miles one way, hauling 85,000 to 115,000 pounds on a Trailer flatbed, through City Streets. No problem.
+1Christian4Israel

Banned
Banned

Blog:
View Blog (1)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:40 am
Well, when the SHTF, I'm getting together with Handload and PunkyMunky to hit the Port of Tacoma and we got ourselves a convoy!
-
-

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 1717 times

Blog:
View Blog (2)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:36 am
WOOOT!!! :pop: That should be an entertaining day!!
*PRIVACY NOTICE:**
Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using www.shtfm.com or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/ or the comments made about my photo's or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen."—Enoch
Powell, Member of the British Parliament

"Learn to love Death's Ink Black Shadow as much as you love the Light of Dawn" - Unknown Spartan Quote

Resident Pothead

Pray not for an easy life. Pray for the STRENGTH to endure a difficult one.

The Lesson is in The Journey, Not the End Game - Eddie

PreviousNext

Return to DIY / How To's / Lessons