Welcome to SHTF Survival, Disaster and Emergency Preparedness Forums. Click here to register

which knife should i get

Talk about your survival kit, packs, bag or how to make one.

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 111 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:43 pm
shadetree1944 wrote:unless you are knife fighting the bad guys or making a spear for mammoth elephants, a good three blade pocket knife has more uses . just saying that is.

Sorry shadetree but I must disagree. There isn't much you can do with a little knife that you can't do with a big knife. While a small pocket knife is good for some projects, IMO a larger knife ( 6" or larger blade) is more versitile in a survival situation. For example you can use a good quality fixed blade to cut firewood or split kindling. You can't do that with a small knife.

As for the original question in the thread. Both of the knives you asked about are good knives. Given my choice I'd choose the SOG. I agree with the advice of using a non-serrated blade. I have a couple but they are far from my favorite blades. Formost is the fact that serrated blades are a pain in the but to sharpen in the field.

I also have to agree that a Mora is a good blade for a lower cost. If economy is a factor you can't beat a mora.
If by my experiences, mistakes, and training. I can help one person to gain the wisdom that will allow them to survive or to save the life of someone they love then I can truly say, that all of the things I have done have been worth every second spent.

Knight of Jerusalem
Gave Thanks: 187 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:10 pm
for suggestions on high quality low cost fixed blade knives, i have a cold steel bushman in each of my BOBs. i also carry a cold steel ODA on my belt and use it every day. let me tell you, it's one tough blade!

"Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce’s answer was, “Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot.” - Jeff Cooper

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."-Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:25 pm
ok thx guys im getting the sog or mora after my birthday

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 111 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:15 pm
Shadow-wolf wrote:ok thx guys im getting the sog or mora after my birthday

Don't forget the pics.... without pictures it never happened.
If by my experiences, mistakes, and training. I can help one person to gain the wisdom that will allow them to survive or to save the life of someone they love then I can truly say, that all of the things I have done have been worth every second spent.

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 76 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Is a Puukko close enough?
I am the grumpiest hippie you will ever meet. My Blog

Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

SHTFM SPONSOR
SHTFM SPONSOR
Gave Thanks: 847 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:20 pm
Knives, like guns are tools and different one are for different jobs. I pack several but tend to like the Buck 110 fixed blade for skinning and general use, a buck folder with 3.5 “ blade for general work and keep on my belt when out and about, a kurkri for a bush knife, and a Gerber MkII or a Sikes for a fighter, but that’s just me.
Each person needs to use knives and then decide which is best for them.
"Tell the Truth, know the escape routes and carry extra ammunition" Georgia Mason in the novel "FEED"

"If you have to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk." -Tuco

A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:46 am
thx wulfin i keep that in mind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:27 am
dreadstalker wrote:for a all around survival knife a person would be hard pressed to beat a sweedish mora.

The only thing I don't like about the Mora, is the cheesy sheath that comes with them. That said, the blade is a good size for about any normal chore, and the handle fits my hand well. It holds an edge well, and is easy to sharpen. I got 2 of them from Sportsman Guide a couple of years ago for $25 + shipping, 1 went in my bob, and the other replaced my Glock knife. The Mora is a more usable size, and half the weight of the Glock.

Last summer I bought 7 or 8 new knives at a gargae sale for 3 dollars ea, all commercial grade meat cutter knives, and among them was a Mora skinner, another really good knife.....JMHO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:42 am
thx wireless i think i get a mora and sog seal pup after my brithday i think i should have some money to get them

SHTF Expert
SHTF Expert
Gave Thanks: 1000 times

Blog:
View Blog (0)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:51 am
I keep four either handy or on my person at all times.

1) KA-BAR USMC full-size serrated fighting knife in black
2) Custom Condor Skinning Knife (Company is no longer in business but the knife is awesome. Will sell for 5 pounds of gold. :D )
3) 3.5" Lock-blade of indeterminate origin. Holds an edge like you wouldn't believe.
4) "Disposable" 1.5" lock-blade. In my pocket until something better turns up.

My formative years were spent with the KA-BAR which isn't too different in design from the SEAL PUP.
When all else fails,
Vote from the rooftops!

PreviousNext

Return to BOB (Bug Out Bags)